“Algarve is sun and sea, delicious fish, beautiful beaches and… good wine.”
Algarve is known for its marvellous seaside. Those sunny beaches and that splendid fresh fish! Surprisingly, we will soon be able to add something else to the description: good wine!
Although it is not an extensive wine region, the Algarve has seen some very promising projects in the last few years.
We distribute some of our favorites, produced by Quinta da Penina and Quinta do Outeiro. Their soil is sandy, sometimes containing clay and shale. Then there is the warm wind from the Mediterranean and the influence of the Atlantic. The mountains of Monchique protect the area from the northern cold winds and the constant sunlight sums it up.
It is our pleasure to describe this selection:
- Paxá Tinto Reserva 2015 is a purple wine, with intense ripe black fruit like blackberry and plum, caramelized and vanilla notes from the 12 months stage in french oak barrels. Full bodied and firm with great potential of evolution in bottle. Syrah; Alicante Bouschet; Touriga Nacional.
- Quinta do Outeiro Tinto Reserva 2014 presents aromas of ripe fruit and spices. Robust, smooth and enveloping on the palate. 24 months stage on french oak barrels. Syrah; Alicante Bouschet; Touriga Nacional; Aragonez.
- DOP Lagoa Tinto 2017 is a very balanced red wine, with bright ruby color and aroma of red fruits. On the palate is an up front wine, easy to drink, but with an elegant finish. A wine for everyday consumption.
- Reserva QdP 2015 is an intense red wine with the aroma of well ripened raspberries and blackberries aroma. It is full bodied and silky with elegant tannins that give a long and persistent finish.
- DOP Lagoa Branco is a white wine with the fruity aroma of pear and pineapple. It is harmonious on the palate, well balanced and fresh, with a good volume and a smooth but persistent finish. Perfect for a feast of grilled fish and seafood.
- Premium Foral de Portimão is an intense red wine with violet nuances, scents of ripened fruit, coffee and spices. It´s fresh on the palate, full bodied and silky. Creamy tannins in the finish, giving it a great long tasting aroma. Petit Verdot.
- Selection Foral de Portimão is an intense dark red wine with scents of vanilla and red fruits. It is silky on the palate, shaped by sweet tannins that give it a pleasant persistence.
- Rosé Foral de Portimão has a fresh aroma of red fruits like raspberry and strawberry. It is a very light rosé wine, but well balanced and with an elegant finish. Negra Mole
- Foral Branco is a white wine with a light citrus color and scents of rose and peach. It is fresh on the palate with a well balanced acidity. A wine for summer!